Research performed at the Brooklyn Historic Society revealed that this 12’ wide rowhouse, located just outside of the Clinton Hill historic district, was originally built in 1883 as a single family residence, was changed to a boarding house in 1901, and converted back to a single family residence in 1935.
This project involved changing this home to a 2 family residence, with an owner’s triplex and garden rental. The scope of work included a full renovation of the Building’s interior layout, mechanical systems, plumbing systems, and interior structure. Additionally, a rear deck and rear yard renovation was performed.
One of the best features of this renovation was recognizing and developing the vertical connectivity of the interior stairwell, and organizing the building program to react to this, with the spaces transitioning from public to private as it moves upward.